Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The history of Weir State School

In 1880, there was only isolated settlement of the area from Aitkenvale to the dam. But there were sufficient children for agitation for a school to commence.

The major industries were dairying, forestry, agriculture and cattle raising. In the early part of this century tobacco and mining were added. By and large the number of families near the existing school was about 20 and the number of possible children for a school was about 50 although not all of them did in fact attend.

At a public meeting held on 25th August 1880, the following men, namely: Thomas Gleeson, Jorgen Rasmussen, William Thorburn and Thomas Lawrence, were elected as members of a Building Committee to establish a provisional school.

The original school house for Weir State School opened 11th April 1881.